Website

Website:

Visit www.emmafreemanphotography.com to view full portfolios and pricing information. Thank you for stopping by!

12.18.2008

Some thoughts on Photography...

One of my absolute favorite books is "On Photography" by Susan Sontag. My amazing sister gave it to me in college and I ended up doing an independent study on Visual Culture because of it(I was a Philosophy major, so you can imagine how much I LOVE to think about life). This quote stood out to me:

"Any photograph has multiple meanings; indeed, to see something in the form of a photograph is to encounter a potential object of fascination. The ultimate wisdom of the photographic image is to say: "There is the surface. Now think-or rather feel, intuit-what is beyond it, what the reality must be like if it looks this way." Photographs, which cannot themselves explain anything, are inexhuastible invitations to deduction, speculation, and fantasy."

I love thinking about what is behind images, what the photographer was thinking, hearing, yearning for, distracted by, in that moment. I love the richness that some images have, that history that lies within it. I search for that kind of richness in life and hope that my images show some of that.